~ Welcome to the thoughts of our home, our life and our passions ~


12/31/10

Crossroads


The new year induces change for the masses. Resolutions, promises… it’s as if we’re handed a giant eraser (which we assume we only get once a year.). It’s a crossroads. But not just any crossroads- it’s a turning point that we all take together.
Truth is, most of us know that we face crossroads every day. Difference is, it’s lonelier than New Years. Rather than stepping into an established holiday with TV talk show segments or party hats, we cross our roads with a quiet independence. It takes place everywhere. Perhaps at the foot of our bed in a conversation, or in the car driving past a would-be opportunity. . . the other end of the phone line. It’s interesting how the momentum and romance of taking big steps in our lives quickly fades when we feel like maybe we’re the only person at the time taking them. There’s a lot to be said for strength in numbers. Seems to me that the nerve we possess while standing with a friend is far more readily available than when we’re fighting to muster it up alone.
Friendships change. They morph into shapes that fit around our current circumstances. This year I have strengthened a few, learned from many and regrettably probably lost one.  Despite the transformations they’ve each taken on, it’s these friendships that have helped me from season to season. No, not just helped…. given me strength. Truth is, there’s no better investment than a person. Sure, we all have different personalities but even the most timid amongst us (who we may think are indifferent), desires meaningful friendships.
I was thinking today about my year and all it’s held. So much has gone on and while I’m chasing this year’s coat tails I’m being flung into the next. But as I surveyed the previous months, it was my relationships that have impacted me the most.
Today we stand at this doorstep of inventory, taking time to look ahead and make our goals and plans.
My wish for those I love is not just for today but for the all the days you’ll come upon your crossroads. May you find friends close by that will hold your hand through your journey, remind you that you’re on one and maybe even one or two who’ll step for you while you rest.
Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment