~ Welcome to the thoughts of our home, our life and our passions ~


12/1/12

Deliberating December

The past two months have consumed me. I’ve walked in and out of my days with an absent-mindedness that has seemed to infiltrate numerous areas of my life. I haven’t been able to articulate my experience and no doubt this attempt will fall short of describing it’s depth but foolishly, I try.
I’ve recently made personal discoveries that have been monumental. While all this time I’ve attributed my pre-occupied brain to these discoveries, I still haven’t seemed to . . . settle. I’m forgetful. I’m slow. I'm not focused. I'm overwhelmed. I’m finding the simplest of tasks to be overwhelming and feel more like a spectator in my life whose floating above looking down when really I’m walking around in slow-motion.
I’ve shared before when I set goals it creates a rhythm I can operate in. A sort of metronome for life that seems to produce productivity. Well, that rhythm has lost it’s tick and now the holidays are upon me thus I cautiously approach them. I resent the situation I find myself in year after year. It’s the strategy game of Christmas with it’s commercialized, greed-inducing, and sometimes meaningless-gift-giving requirements. I love to give gifts and to receive them! But I cringe at the thought of lopping more things on top of our Mountain of things in a grandiose celebration of self. Especially when it comes to the impression I'm imparting onto my children and how it effects their evolving concept of holiday. Giving is a cherished encounter I've been fortunate to learn about from friends, where we express honor and appreciation of one another, a sort of acknowledgment of  “I see you”. But instead of seeing a people, we see lists. Some may easily find themselves slaves to a chore without ever taking notice as to why they are giving gifts in the first place. Ridiculous! The reverence of Christmas isn’t readily available to us anywhere but instead, waits quietly for us in our reflections and convictions.
I read once that contemplation and revolution should never be separated (Henri Nouwen). Maybe that’s why my thoughts can gnaw at me until I act on them, I don’t know. I shamefully admit that my frequent criticism of the enormous wasted wealth in the Western world compared to rest of the globe has not prevented me from being swept away with consumerism. Socially irresponsible consumerism, that is. How it astonishes me that one night I read about neighbors in a Nairobi slum sharing coveted shoe polish as an act of kindness (for when shoe polish is sniffed it offsets hunger pains and is often used in bottles shared by children and adults) and the very next day go about my business without any sense of urgency regarding information I gained the evening prior! In the end of my days, how will I account for this? How do you and I manage to live in one world but have knowledge of another’s whose reality is too painful to comprehend?

There is a way.

There are many ways in fact. Small steps. Baby steps to change. Scholars have analyzed this issue- the predicament people encounter when faced with the enormity of world hunger and still conclude with the notion of - small steps. Everyone making – small steps.
It's Christmas - the season of gifts and if you engage in gift giving, below are some links you can glance at that can revolutionize your giving.
Meanwhile, here’s a passage that has recently spoken to me. Dark as it may be, it’s been a poignant charge that's created a liability I can’t seem to escape.  

“The more we love earthly things, reputation, importance, ease, success and pleasures, for ourselves, the less we love God. Our identity gets dissipated among a lot of things that do not have the value we imagine we see in them, and we are lost in them: we know it obscurely by the way all these things disappoint us and sicken us once we get what we have desired. Yet we still bring ourselves to nothing, annihilate our lives by trying to fulfill them on things that are incapable of doing so. When we really come to die, at last, we suddenly know how much we have squandered and thrown away, and we see that we are truly annihilated by our own sick desires: we were nothing, but everything God gave us we have also reduced to nothing, and now we are pure death.
                                                                         (September 3, 1941, Journal of Thomas Merton, 243-44)

No comments:

Post a Comment