~ Welcome to the thoughts of our home, our life and our passions ~


9/27/10

Family Fridays


~ Outside My Front Door ~



This last weekend I received a call from my neighbor. She had been noticing a lot of bees around the yard and in looking; found that they had a permanent residence near our second story window. So naturally, we took a look and called a few experts. Turned out they were wasps. A fumigator came and took care of it but I couldn’t help but think about what the potential threat symbolized for me. Dave and I seek to make our home a place of refuge. A place that is secured. Knowing there are families without a safe home much less a home at all, I know we are privileged. 
You know, inside my front door: we can eat, sleep, walk about safely while hopefully gaining confidence and security. Inside we can be loved. But once we walk outside the front door, there is the unknown. Threats are everywhere in the world buzzing about and we can be hurt emotional, physically…spiritually. Of course, outside isn’t always so bad, but it is the unknown. Outside there are things that sting.
So what then, in the meantime are we doing as a family while inside? Intentional living? Intentional parenting? What does that even mean?
It won’t be long until my kids are teenagers – going out with their friends on Friday nights, making memories to giggle about and snap pictures for their photo albums, not thinking twice about their parents at home. Don’t get me wrong – there are days I can’t wait to have a night or a weekend to myself! But I know that when it comes right down to it, I’ll be just a little bit lonely once they’re grown.
So I was thinking…. while the time is still mine, and while Mom and Dad are still the coolest cats around to hang out with on Friday nights… I’m starting a ‘lil thing called FAMILY FRIDAYS. Not sure where it will go, what we will do or how long it will last -but I thought it was something I can give them….while they’re still on the inside of my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment