~ Welcome to the thoughts of our home, our life and our passions ~


10/21/10

Alone on my couch at 3am


I’m not entirely sure I have much of anything to say today. I mean, I have thoughts. Lots of thoughts. But not really anything profound.
The past few days have been mundane. What’s wrong with mundane? I don’t understand it. In all actuality I live a safe and comfortable life but there’s just something about the routine that gets under my skin. I’ve always tried to avoid it.
I took my dog for a run tonight and shouldn’t have. A fast paced walk would have sufficed and now my knee is paying for it. Not a wise decision.
I hate it when it’s late at night and I can’t get to sleep because I wasn’t paying attention and sipped a large Mr. Pipp at a 10:30pm movie showing.
Speaking of movies, I saw ‘You Again’ and although it’s lighthearted comedy was engaging, the entire premise bothered me. The women were typically portrayed as either vindictive, insecure, jealous, clowns or needy. Worst, the male “head of the household” grounded the mother and daughter to their room. Ugh.
The other day I really wanted a little something. You know, a nice gift for myself. Knowing that no one would get me one, I bought one. 24 hours later I took it back after feeling guilty. I should work on that.
Every year I get Dave something that I’m excited about for his birthday but it usually bombs. This year I got him something that he loves…. but I’m not excited.
I shopped at Target today with the kids. Everyone behaved. No crying. No tattle tailing, screaming, asking for something, scratching or loud embarrassing flatulence. I was so thrilled while returning the cart when it was time to leave. It felt as if I just got a big promotion and corner office. Success.
I miss the foghorns back home. The other day someone at the high school sounded a horn at a football game. You’d think it would have brought back good memories but really, it was just depressing.
I have a sink full of dishes, of which I usually try to clean up before bed and get great satisfaction by doing so. Tonight I walked past them and let them sit there. I like that feeling too.
I’m the only one on my street with yard signage about the upcoming amendments to vote on in November. Why?
Monday was my 7th wedding anniversary. I realized we’ve surpassed the stage when I can remember years by births. The years are outnumbering the family members. We’re now 5 for 7.
No matter how hard I try to keep my car clean, Mackenzie’s area of the car will inevitably always have crayon markings, old dried food and a nasty sippy cup stashed somewhere. Last week I found a banana peel.
Tonight I bribed my daughter. If she stays her bed for the whole night without coming into ours (and thereby kicking us off the mattress by her unique ability to sleep horizontally), she gets a candy bar in the morning. I don’t care if it’s 6am.
I’m unsure of the last vegetable my 18 mo. old had apart from today’s meal.
Fall has brought to my attention that I’m in the in-between sizes. I’ve grown out of my “too-big-clothes” but it’s still uncomfortable to wear my “super-skinny-clothes”. Winter will require layering.
I hope to one day climb Kilimanjaro. I don’t know why. I’ve always been fascinated by it and hopefully I can be there before the entire glacier has dissolved. 
I’m growing discouraged at my inability to photograph. Sometimes I think I’m just a poser but that hasn’t been enough to stop me from trying. If I could have any job, I’d be a photo journalist and choose to shoot subjects that reveal social injustices around the world. I’d also like to pick the guitar by the chiminea in my backyard but that hasn’t happened yet either. Not yet. . .
I find it curious that anyone would care to read this….. maybe my kids will one day. I’d love to have read my Mom or Dad’s thoughts when they were 30.


2 comments:

  1. You could to the photo journalism thing on here. Raising awareness, even on a small scale, is something. And it sounds as though social justice is something you care about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually thought of posting a picture or series of pictures once a month about things I'd like to raise awareness about. It's interesting that you bring this up. . . . thank you. Keep in touch and hopefully you'll be seeing it soon.

    ReplyDelete