~ Welcome to the thoughts of our home, our life and our passions ~


10/7/10

The Café is Closed


Since graduating, I made a commitment to myself that this year I will : 1) pick up my guitar again, 2) learn to cook so that I may be granted the extremely rare thumb’s up from Mr. Brooks and 3) work-out on a regular basis.
Well, it’s October. Precisely 4 months and 3 days from my graduation date. My work-outs are going great and ever more addicting, my guitar which now rests behind the recliner gathering dust by the minute, was strummed a handful of times. But cooking! Boy have I cooked! (OK, just recently). 
Those receiving the stamps of approval by the Brooks’ household food critic were made up from scratch and are as follows: Pasta with chicken and homemade tomato sauce (homegrown tomatoes, I might boast), Marinated BBQ turkey burgers, Chicken Tandoori & rice, Blueberry muffins (not just any blueberry muffins), Lemon Meringue Pie, Turkey Chili, Sweet Potato Casserole…I won’t go into detail about the flops. But let’s just say that after a good hour or two of managing puppy paws, demanding toddlers and end of the day frenzy, I manage to every now and then put a meal on the table that may hardly get touched.
(I know, right? The NERVE!)
Now, last night I sucked down dinner a bit resentful of the three pairs of tiny eyes that were frowning back at me. And as the ungrateful little girls pushed their plates away, I told them that they were really missing out! But in all actuallity, after hugging the toilet bowl for a good 8 hours and scooting about the house fatigued and nauseous…. I’ve come to find that sometimes a good old-fashioned bowl of cereal is the best gourmet dinner one can have. In fact, it will probably be on the menu for the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment