~ Welcome to the thoughts of our home, our life and our passions ~


3/27/11

Forcasted Fog on Memory Lane


I went on an unexpected walk this morning. Unexpected because thick grey fog covered the foothills and I was delighted for it. I don’t encounter much fog where I live now but growing up in a small harbor town in California, fog was like a family member. It was always a part of an event or it was a reliable partner in the mornings as you walked to school. I miss it and admittedly get rather excited when it comes around.

The previous night’s cold air turned from frost to snow and although I should have felt cold, I didn’t. I was happily enjoying my hours alone. I walked a pathway near a lake which I had seen before but never in the present glory of that moment. The lake was engulfed with morning mist and I was awed as I heard the geese, watching them take flight one after another. It was a scene straight out of an English novel. All it was missing was a hunting dog and someone wearing plaid. . . it was peacefully romantic and time stood still.

I was taken back to a point in time when I could smell the ocean air or hear the harbor seals barking at the morning. When you grow up near a waterfront, you never forget the cool mist on your face or the familiar taste of salt on your lips.

There are just those moments in time, a vista, a view that impacted your memory forever. When the entirety of the moment is perfect . . . the smells, the sounds and ultimately, the feel. I’ve had a few in my life. Mostly they are memories of home when I was a little girl, or vacations. . . hikes.
If you’re reading this and you can understand what I’m describing – please comment below and share a memorable view you’ve witnessed . . . perhaps from your childhood or today. This was mine.

2 comments:

  1. What you are saying makes sense: unfortunately, I do not experience the sensory based memories from what I see. I experience them from smells or tastes. Perhaps that has something to do with how my brain categorizes what it experiences. The subtle smell of Lavender sends me to dusk, looking over rooftops in France watching the light fade over them. Thinking to myself, "Don't forget this. This is beautiful."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: I can imagine that your experience is in deed beautiful. It's comforting to have such memories which we can retrieve at moment.

    Your comment evokes an important reminder for me; that we do not all process experiences the same way. Furthermore, when we use our various senses that we might have, we are priviliged to do so. We take dvantage of them every day, as they are often unnoticed or not thought of by the able-bodied.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete